Principal's Newsletter - October, 2021
Greetings PS147 Families,
Please see attached Principal's Newsletter with important information. For families requiring a translated version, please click on the Google Select Language prompt on the upper right of the Home Page Screen.
Ms. Sandra Noyola
Welcome to a new school year! In keeping with the Chancellor’s Homecoming theme, our school has partaken in many activities to foster social-emotional awareness for our students while engaging them in rich, academic instruction.
It is my hope that this new school year continues to reflect positivity, resilience and a collaborative spirit in us all.
Ms. Sandra Noyola
September and October have been filled with numerous activities, learning and celebrations. Some of the activities include Hispanic Heritage Month celebration, P.S. 147 Day, World Smile Day and the District 14 Superintendent’s visit.
To date, our school has met the 92% attendance goal. To congratulate our students, our school gives morning shout-outs to the classes with 100%. We encourage families to send their children to school daily. Teachers have also begun student assessments. They are:
- Acadience Universal Screener: Grades K – 2
- iReady Diagnostic in ELA and Math: Grades K – 5
- Fountas & Pinnell Running Records: Grades K – 5
- SEL Screener: Grades K – 5
After School Programs
I am pleased to announce the continuity of our collaboration with the St. Nick’s Alliance afterschool. St. Nick’s alliance has been a valuable ally and partner in fostering additional academic and social-emotional enrichment opportunities for our students. For more information, please contact the Site Director, Ms. Bianca Velez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to St. Nicks, P.S. 147 will be hosting in-house afterschool programs.
- K – 2 Literacy After School Program. Start Date: Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2:30pm – 5:30pm starting November 3, 2021 – Thursday, March 9, 2022.
- Saturday School Program for students with IEP’s and 504’s. Start Date: Saturdays from 9am – 12noon starting November 6, 2021 – April 30, 2022.
- ENL Enrichment After School Program. Start Date: Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2:30pm – 4:30pm starting November 17, 2021 – Thursday, March 9, 2022.
More Important News
School Construction Authority – Updates
- Project Scope
- The overall Project scope, per contract, Roof Replacement and Flood Elimination. Substantial Completion means that all Contractual Project work has been completed. The work is now at substantial completion.
- Upcoming Work – Inspection
- As is required for all projects, to ensure that the work is completed per the contract and to meet Building Codes, there are a series of upcoming inspections by the Construction Inspection Division (CID) and the Department of Building (DOB).
- These inspection include an inspection to: Roof, Masonry, Plumbing, HVAC system (reinstalled with the roof work) and Power/Light. Any inspection deficiencies will be fixed.
- Punch List
- Also, as part of every project, there are now items to be addressed (Punch List items).
- These items are not limited to but will include: Addressing additional visible water damage and painting window trims.
- Geotech Engineer’s Scope of Work:
- NYCT Drawing Research – Since the project lies within 200 ft. of a New York City subway, NYCT approval prior to any construction related activities is required. We will obtain available drawings from the Transit Authority related to the project at the above-mentioned location.
- Site Improvements Plan – We will assist the team in the construction document development process addressing the pavement replacement program. We will work with the design team to prepare a Site Improvements Plan for submission to NYCT for review and approval. We will prepare relevant specifications based on the approved final design.
- NYCT Coordination – Since the project lies within 200 ft. of a New York City subway, NYCT approval prior to any construction will be required. We will coordinate with the team and NYCT to obtain the necessary approvals. We will submit the drawings designed and prepared by the design team to the NYCT for their review and comment. Based on our previous design experiences, we anticipate that several meetings may be necessary and that revisions to design may be required. We will coordinate and respond to questions and obtain the final approval for the design from NYCT. We have assumed that one submittal and one re-submittal will be required prior to final approval by the NYCT. We will prepare and submit to NYCT to obtain the necessary approval to perform the proposed repaving at the site.
- Construction Administration - We will provide traditional construction administration services through construction. This work includes submittal review, RFI responses and periodic site visits by project managers. We will perform site visits when necessary to resolve a specific question that involves design intent.
A Look Ahead
- Tuesday, November 2, 2021
- Election Day – Fully Remote Asynchronous Instructional Day
- School Building will be closed
- Thursday, November 4, 2021
- Virtual Parent/Teachers Conferences
- Dismissal will be at 11:30am for all students
- Appointment letters will be sent out this week
- Parent/Teacher Conference Times:
- 12:20pm – 2:20pm
- 5:00pm – 8:00pm